Mindful Opportunities

Mindful Opportunities
Visit our website!

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Welcome!

I can chalk this up to another new adventure!  This is my first attempt at blogging, and I am really excited to get this off the ground!  For those of you that don't know me, I recently left the classroom, where I have been teaching 1st and 2nd graders for 20 years.  I will now be helping out at the family hardware store (McNab's Hardware in Waterford, MI - come in and see us!),  But, more importantly, I am starting my own consulting business, Mindful Opportunities, where I will be teaching mindfulness to students and adults who are looking to live a more focused, peaceful life.

This is actually my SECOND attempt at starting up a blog.  The first one was on a site that has been down for nearly 5 days, and many online have come to the assumption that they have gone under, taking all of our blood, sweat, tears, and conversations with them!  Ugh! Technology - makes you want to throw things, but can't live without it!

Or, can we?  I read a compelling article this week that was also mentioned on Good Morning, America: Screen Addiction Is Taking a Toll on Children.  Chinese doctors consider this a clinical disorder, and there is speculation it will only be a matter of time before doctors in the United States will, as well.

I have always wanted to stay current on all technological advances.  I don't ever want the words "I'm too old to learn that" to come out of my mouth!  However, I noticed with each new gadget I became more distracted and disengaged.  It really got bad after I got my iPad.  I could no longer sit and relax while watching a movie - I had to have my gadget in my hand; looking up who that actor is that looks so familiar, what other movie she was in, who's singing the song in the soundtrack.  Of course, I have now lost the plot line, so I might as well check my email and facebook page for the hundredth time just in case someone posted a funny quote that I just HAVE to read.  Sometimes, upon checking my school email, I would see an email from a parent.  Curiosity would not let me wait until business hours before checking it . . . and then, of course, I am compelled to reply otherwise I'll be up all night thinking about it.  So, now I'm doing work at 10:30 at night!  I found myself constantly connected, having lost all sense of the word "quitting time."  And worse, I had become just as inattentive as the students that I desperately tried to engage everyday at school. I was soon to discover the solution for me was mindfulness.

I would love to hear what you think of this article.  Do you feel that you or your children are too connected?  How are you handling it, or are you handling it?


4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There seems to be a problem with posting comments. I'm working on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol, I'm so excited about this blog, and want to congratulate you on this new endeavor! I laughed as I read parts of your first entry because I could so perfectly identify with your experiences. I'm limiting my comments here because, at this point, they're intended only to test the success of this feature (i.e., the comment link) that you indicated as being problematic. (By the way, under "profile" I selected "anonymous" because the other choices didn't seem to be what I wanted. I'm not anonymous, though; I'm Charlotte!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Charlotte! It seems to be working now. I hope you come back for some enlightening conversations!

      Delete